I’m Bren – Brennan Mark Smith “if you’re not into the whole brevity thing” – a busy (formerly NYC) CA screenwriter.
After gaining a BA in Communications and a Masters in Teaching, I taught middle and high school English, trained business professionals in Microsoft Office, and grew into web development while working tech support.
It was during that time that I wrote my prequel to Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
After a pilgrimage to Wittenberg, Germany, the Globe Theatre in London and Stratford-on-Avon, I cloistered myself in iambic pentametric verse, until, in 2001, roughly 400 years to the day after Hamlet first prevaricated across the Elizabethan stage, my Wittenberg beheld the light of day.
Actors loved it, and it brought me in contact with script consultant/director/filmmaker Peter Bishai, who told me that if I was crazy enough to write Wittenberg, I was crazy enough for screenwriting. We co-wrote two scripts, the award-winning, comic adventure The Dueling Accountant (a learning experience to be sure), and our thriller, Rapid Eye Movement (forever seeking production funding).
Along the way I became obsessed with story. I savored McKee, Truby, Vogler, other gurus, and the pantheon of great film makers. In 2004, I created www.bren.us to celebrate film, and to justify all my movie watching.
A few milestones:
- Rapid Eye Movement (2002, co-writer with Peter Bishai) (Set to release 2018)
- The Dueling Accountant (2004, co-writer, with Peter Bishai) (Released, 2008)
- Taught screenwriting for The Haven, a NYC arts fellowship (2001-2006)
- Moved to Hollywood to pursue screenwriting (2008)
- Provided script analysis and/or mentored almost 100 screenwriters through Act One Program in Hollywood (2009-2012)
- Wittenberg (published 2015)
- Knight of the Temple (published 2017), converted from my screenplay
For more information, check out my IMDB page, and my projects, story resources and seminars on this site. You’ll be glad you did.